Jul 11, 2010


"...there are a class of workers who are artists, who take up the full promise of being workers.  They go into their own factories and they get to externalize what humanness means."  iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
Lane Relyea, from Bad at Sports, episode number 39 iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
I recently listened to this interview again and was struck by his definition of the artist as 'worker', part of the citizenry, a full participant.  It made me think of Diego Rivera spending months at a time on scaffolding.  Admittedly this is a romantic impression, especially considering Rivera was one of the few artists who gave so much 'humanness' to the proletariat. But the truth is I am a hopeless romantic, especially when I consider why I choose to spend much of my life in this particular ‘class of worker'.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, this comment is so perfect right about now...just what I needed to read, thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete