Dec 8, 2011

interiors


 This book is full of rooms with details that find their way into my paintings. 
I've been admiring this room for a long time.  Considering the beige palette Pottery Barn has inflicted on us, it’s hard to imagine that in the sixties the average person (woman) was encouraged by mainstream ‘Better Homes and Gardens’ to actually live with bold color! I decided to do a painting based on this room of primaries, one that pays homage to the pleasures of this partiicular version of domesticity.


The Living Room, 36" x 36",  acrylic and graphite on canvas, 2011

Another spread in this book I keep coming back to is this yellow and gray room. 



It reminds me of Shelley Duvall's apartment in 3 Women

With these two interiors in mind I made a painting of yellow and gray.


Nothing Troubled Us, acrylic on canvas, 2011

3 comments:

  1. Basically the same thing happens to me. I tend to find new colors, patterns, shapes in interior magazines. I also find new ideas in catalogs like Jcrew, Billy Reid, and Anthropology. The Sartorialist as well. The way color and pattern are put together gets the mind a going!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey check this site out when you have a moment. http://www.wheretheycreate.com/ Have a great holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. girl... you are rocking' it!!
    LOVE the graphite thrown into the mix!
    catch up soon... will need to do installments... thinking a series of 5.

    ReplyDelete